Saturday, May 3, 2014

Bucket List


I need to make a list of all the things I want to do while I live in DC.  I have no idea how long that'll be, but if I put off doing these things, I'm almost certain to forget altogether, and then  I'll have to explain to Future Sarah why I wasted such golden proximity.

Besides, it'll be fun to see how many of these I can cross off.  Let me know if I forgot to add something good!

DC Bucket List………………………………………….

cherry blossom festival
National Cathedral
Ellicot City, MD
Post Office Tower
Georgetown
all of the art museums
Friday Night Dance at Glen Echo
Boston, MA (Freedom Trail, Independence Hall, Nathaniel Bowditch's house)
Nationals game
Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
Dumbarton Oaks
Newsies musical (The National Theatre)
Dulles Air and Space Museum

as a kind of sub-list, here are the things I've done before, but want to do again

                National Zoo
                Mt. Vernon
                the monuments at night
                the Smithsonians (Air and Space, American History, Natural History, etc.)
                Eastern Market
                watch planes land at Gravelly Point
                U.S. Marine Corps Memorial
                Arlington National Cemetery
                Annapolis, MD 
                Library of Congress 
                National Archive 
                Botanical Gardens
 
And now I'm going to kick off my list by crossing off the first item:
cherry blossom festival
It was all of the amazing I was expecting!  Also, it was crowded.  Dan, Chloe and I had to hold hands to keep from losing each other in the metro stations.  It was neat though: all those people thronging the sidewalk to see little blossoms on trees.  I'll even admit to some sentimental 'brotherhood of humanity' moments as I looked at the solid band of people surrounding the tidal basin.  Here we all are!  ...Seriously, ALL of us. 
Other perks included several marching band performances in front of the Jefferson, and the fact that everyone looks fabulous in cherry blossom lighting.  My favorite trees are the ones that hang out over the water.  Most of them are old, their gnarled trunks making bizarre, serpentine shapes, and their low-hanging limbs threatening to clothesline unsuspecting joggers.
 
 
日本、ありがとうございました。我々はまだあなたの美しい贈り物をお楽しみください。
Nihon, arigatōgozaimashita. Wareware wa mada anata no utsukushī okurimono o o tanoshimi kudasai.
{Katy, you'll have to tell me if that's even close to being correct! 
If it's wrong... well, it's Google's fault.}

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, how 'bout the underground visitors' center at the Capitol Building? It wasn't there when we toured the Capitol in '08, but I've heard it's neat. It is also a testimony to American ingenuity: No more above-ground real estate for a visitors' center? No problem! For that matter, a second tour of the Capitol might be nice. All that awesome art on the walls!

    ReplyDelete