Thursday, August 14, 2014

Living Dangerously

I want to be dangerous.

Among the many appealing traits of a larger-than-life hero (Sherlock Holmes, Batman, Aslan) is the visceral satisfaction you get when the villain sees just who he’s up against and blanches.  Am I the only one who finds this moment peculiarly delightful? 

Sauron is poised to take over Middle Earth, when Aragorn whips out the Palantir and reveals himself  – and what does Sauron do?  He freaks out.  The biggest bad in Middle Earth since Morgoth, and he panics, sends out the troops, and completely overlooks the short people trekking up his volcano.  Nice.

Over and over the Doctor arrives, and after sinking into trouble up to his neck, he sighs and makes introductions:  Guess who you’ve poked with a stick, you idiots: me!  The lanky, leather jacket/bow-tie/fez-wearing Oncoming Storm himself.  Mass flailing of robots and aliens!  So cool.

After nine seasons of tragedy, misery, and kicking butt, what has Jack Bauer successfully earned, besides a retirement he’ll never get?  A nigh-on limitless supply of these moments – just one blenching terrorist after another.  It never gets old.

This brings us to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.  She was wife of George VI, mother to the current Queen Elizabeth, and came to the throne not long before the bombs started dropping on London.  Not a great time to be Queen, I would imagine.  But she smiled and stayed calm and was tough.  When she was asked if she’d be sending her daughters to the country for safety, she said, "The girls will not leave unless I do. I will not leave unless the King does. And the King will not leave under any circumstances whatsoever."  All the ordinary, stolid, wartime British people loved her.  She was a morale boost, just by existing.  She made you want to cling on by your fingernails and keep fighting.

Adolph Hitler called her “the most dangerous woman in Europe.” 

You can spot the hero by how much trouble they’re giving the villain.

So that’s what I’m aiming to do.

Today I begin my campaign to harass the Enemy.  He’s a master of physical and psychological warfare, but I have better resources: my Commanding Officer sorted him once, and He’ll do it again.  Until He gets back, though, it’s guerrilla warfare for me.  The good that my Enemy would prefer to be left undone I will make my primary goal.  Those people currently undergoing his worst attacks will get my full support and friendship.  He will not have it all his way, if I can help it.

I want to be dangerous.

Who’s with me?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment